Climate Change Impacted to Arabica Coffe

Coffee Cupping series by Kopling Coffee was held in Irai office in Cikini, Menteng, Central Jakarta on 23 August 2019: The event invite two special speaker from two different sector. One of them is prominent Indoesian architect, Gede Kresna and other founder of IDH Fitrian Ardiansyah. The Theme of the Event is discussed about “climate change impacted to Indonesian Arabia Coffee Quality and Quantity”. Attended by 30 participants that enganged to coffee stake holders, they are Mr. Teten Masduki (Coordinate Staff of President), Rudi Salahudin, (Deputi IV Coordinating Ministry of Economic Affairs), Mr. Jo Daud Dharsono (CEO Sinarmas. Group) and many more.

Mr. Gede Kresna remind how he and coffee has something related to his childhood memory ,whose picking cherry in farm, and along to his harversting season in Bali, he met wild monkeys in the forest. That’s how Mr. Gede remind how coffee is related to his journey on natural appreciation.

Participants

How does climate change threatening cup of coffee? All coffee producing countries face the same situations. AEKI (Asosiasi Eksportir Dan Industri Kopi Indonesia) recorded, the area of Indonesian coffee plantations currently reaches 1.2 million hectares. Of that area, 96% is the smallholder livelihood area and the remaining 4% are private and government plantations. So it can be said, how the smallholder maintaining the challenging of ability to problem solved, meanwhile, heat wave, heavy rainfall can be caused of outbreak of leaf rust.

Coffee cup qualities rely on how the farming does their effort for harvesting and processing coffee bean. There are some other factors that can be caused that decrease either increase. This is same as how our cappuccino can be so many different taste in cup, although same coffee beans, and same type of water. Temperature can be so affected. This is also happen in plantation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *